Code of Conduct
We strongly believe that software has an inherent responsibility towards society. It’s because of this that we openly talk about ethics, rules and yes - politics - to ensure our spaces and our software contributes to a humane society.
This Code of Conduct applies to all Parastat community hubs and software repositories. By using any of these places, you agree to these terms.
It has two parts:
- Rules: Things that are probably obvious to most people that are hurtful or unpleasant.
- Etiquette: Things you might not be aware of that help keep the space awesome for everyone.
These won’t necessarily cover every situation, so moderators will still make decisions at their own discretion.
Your moderators will take any issues seriously, and will handle them anonymously.
Groups of people that aren’t welcome here
If you have the following or similar kinds of ideologies or affiliations, you are not welcome here and you will be immediately banned if found out:
- Neo-fascism (White supremacy / White nationalism / Neo-nazi / Alt-right / Alt-light / Identitarian / Male supremacy / Manosphere)
- Reactionary (GamerGate / Anti-feminism / Neo-reactionary)
- Neo-feudalist (‘Anarcho’-capitalism / ‘Objectivism’ / Right-wing Libertarians)
- TERF, SWERF or otherwise anti-trans or anti-sex worker
- Truscum, Transmed or other kinds of identity policing.
- People who are generally phobic/bigoted towards non-binary genders.
- Religious fundamentalism or anti-abortion.
- Militarism, Chauvinism, Ethno-nationalism, Xenophobia or similar.
- Stalinism, Maoism or similar. (Non-authoritarian forms of socialism and communism are totally fine!)
- Bigoted furries (ie. Nazifurs)
If you work in any capacity (whether as a direct employee or a contractor) for any of the following types of organisations, you aren’t welcome here, and if you reveal yourself as such, you will be banned:
- Immigration enforcement
- Intelligence organisations
(This does not mean we will refuse legally valid requests for information, it just means that aside from this type of situation, you are not welcome here in any way.)
Apart from those listed, if you have any ideology that believes in - whether violently, non-violently or religiously - the repression of people based on race, gender identity, sexuality and so on, you are also not welcome here.
Ideologies or affiliations based on controlled counter-violence in opposition to oppression (ie. antifascism) are welcome here.
Actions and behaviours that aren’t welcome here
This covers a lot of mostly obviously unpleasant stuff.
Hate speech results in an immediate ban.
Hate speech here refers to comments, imagery, memes or publications that demean, dehumanise, malign or otherwise hurt a person or a group of people based on certain characteristics or group status, including but not limited to:
- Gender identity, including trans and non-binary gender identities
- Body size/weight
- Sex work
- Kinks or fetishes
- Certain personas or forms of identity (furries, otherkin, plural systems, etc.)
- Poverty/lack of wealth
Saying things or things in a particular way, like:
- Racial slurs, ableist slurs, etc.
- Intentional misgendering (intentionally using pronouns or phrasing to refer to someone’s gender incorrectly)
Generally unacceptable behaviour
These will result in an immediate ban:
- Clearly being disrespectful or acting in a directed, unpleasant way.
- Telling someone to or suggesting that someone should commit suicide, be killed, or die.
- Advertising or preaching (as opposed to sharing or genuinely showing off things to people, which is totally fine)
Harassment and Threats
These will also result in an immediate ban:
- Intentionally sending posts to someone that are designed to distress or insult them.
- Using posts, screenshots or out of context quotes to mock or make fun of someone else.
- Intentionally submitting false reports against someone else.
- Continuing to interact with someone after they have told you to stop.
- Threatening to harrass, threatening to dox, threatening to DDoS, or any other kind of threat.
- Sexual harassment or acting in a sexually predatory way.
Conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and scams
It’s important that our communities are places for constructive ideas, and not ones that are used as weapons, tools of disinformation, or spreading information that can cause harm.
Some kinds of conspiracy talk and discussions of the occult and woo are fine, but these are examples of the kinds of things that are unacceptable here:
- Climate change denial
- Flat earth
- NWO, Illuminati, Chemtrails, Pizzagate, etc.
- Hate group conspiracy theories like Holocaust Denial.
- Pseudoscience like Homeopathy, ‘healing crystals’, etc.
- ‘Creation Science’ and other religious forms of pseudoscience.
- Promoting MLMs (Multi-Level Marketing schemes) or Ponzi schemes.
Guerilla ontologies are absolutely fine.
No sexual content
Parastat’s community hubs are not appropriate places for sexual content, flirting, etc.
These are general things to be aware of on our community hubs. You may not be used to them, and that’s okay! We’re willing to help you if you stumble along the way.
Be helpful in tech discussions.
- Don’t make assumptions about someone’s technical background.
- Try to recognise XY problems when trying to get something troubleshooted.
- Avoid giving unsolicited advice.
- Don’t make snarky or needlessly negative comments about the tools someone uses.
Leave edgy humour and societal baggage at the door.
Here are some examples of what we mean:
- Putting marginalised people in the position of having to defend or explain their marginalisation. It’s your responsibility to do your own research.
- Using phrases similar to ‘not all men…’ when someone is just venting about something they’ve experienced.
If you see something bad, tell your moderators.
Corporate social media like Twitter and Tumblr often make people feel powerless, which leads to an ecosystem where issues are taken out publicly. This can often create a lot of stress for everyone and it complicates the process of handling moderation issues.
Here, you have moderators who are willing and able to help you and investigate and deal with problems. Please don’t post publicly about these issues when something arises, make a report or privately message one of the moderators.